Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Istanbul: A little smitten

Blue Mosque Expedition

I rarely ever say I want to return to a place with such adamant passion -- Istanbul broke all that.  I wasn't able to stay that long in Istanbul this past trip.  2 days to be exact - a day coming to Tanzania, and a day before coming to Morocco.  But somehow two days in  Istanbul was enough that makes me want to return for a longer visit.  


Old city, view from my hostel

Corn nut, steet cart/vendor
I landed kind of tired and not wanting to give a care, as I had such a short time frame in Istanbul.  I knew I wanted to see the Old City, so I booked a hostel close-by, took a quick shower after getting there and headed out to greet the city.  I walked around snapping pictures.  Flirted a few with a couple guys around the shops - amazing how flirting is a great bargaining tool.  Then around four-five o'clock a siren went off signifying that it was  prayer time.  I was eating roasted corn at a bench nearby, and I can't emphasize how amazing this moment was to me. It was one of the few time, where I get to experience this gratefulness. This thankfulness, that I was lucky enough to be there.  To exist in that country and that moment.  That is a wonderful feeling.

As the day progressed, I met more people.  Chatted some more with the locals.  One thing became very apparent, the Istanbul men were very suave and gallant.  No shyness at all, and almost every single Istanbul male I encountered asked if I can take a tea with them.  I always came up with some excuses to decline their offer, but still very nice to get sought after like you are some sort of a prize.

Playing Chess, drinking tea
I played a bunch of classic games, chess and backgammon, with another traveling friends I met there.  And again, while sitting in a hookah cafe, drinking coffee, playing games, I got this surge of emotion, urging me to appreciate that moment.  I suppose coming from Kilimanjaro, where I used all my time and effort in the physical feat of climbing, to Instanbul, I was able to sit back and just appreciate my good fortune was mind-blowingly beautitul.





I was so smitten by this enlightenment that I chart my next trip to stop in Istanbul again for a longer visit.  Truly smitten by this space that is Istanbul.

No reason, just pretty lighting!
The intricacy is just mind-blowing!

Spring in full bloom!


A shop owner urging me to buy this hat... uhhh







No comments:

Post a Comment