Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Perusing - Part 2 - Going native

Part dos to my perusing in Peru

After coming down from Machu Picchu, I set out my trip to Puno, Lake Titicaca specifically.  Tired yes... But my excitement level was beyond comprehension. Why? Because I got to stay on an island with a local family.  I'm sure tons of people have done this, as this travel package only costs around $135 U.S. Dollars.  The idea, however, just seems so F-ing cool.  F-ing cool, that an amateur travelist, like myself, was able to stay with a local family.  This is something that I only thought people like Anthony Bourdain do! Le freaking cool.  I'll let the pictures tell the story as I did in the previous blog.

Enroute to awesomeness, or Uros



Lunch

My wonderful friend, Catalina with a Uros-ette

For the little people... I joke.  I joke.  


The room where I stayed.

Hello Chicken friend


Lunch cooked by my family, and yes it revolves around sides of potatoes


My Mammi on Amantaní

My papi on Amantaní

Night life on the island and looking for my Peruvian mate

Ummm, sheep?

Yes, I'm just that happy... Please excuse the double chin.

Altogether, I stopped by 4 islands:


Each island has their unique culture; each island was awesome.  However, Amantani has a hold on my heart like these fuzzy sheeps (above).  My Amantani host family are the most amazing and gracious people.  We didn't speak each other's language, but we bonded over fire, warmth, sign language and potatoes.





No comments:

Post a Comment