Wednesday, October 16, 2013

It's a Peruvian Jungle, Baby! The Inka Jungle Trek

Nothing brings me more joy than traveling and travel planning.  Recently, a friend of mine asked for an itinerary of my trek to Machu Picchu.  Javier is planning to go, so I could not help but rejoice for him.  I chattered from the top of my lungs about my adventures and my enlightenments while, no pun intended, perusing to Machu Picchu.  This will serve as a guide and a memoir of the trek.

I landed in Lima and took a local flight to to Cusco, Peru.  I settled down at a hostel and set out to find a trek to Machu Picchu.  And I went with this option:


                                             INKA JUNGLE TREK                                  


An adventure that leaves your veins pumping and your mind in awed.  The trek was both physically challenging and mentally vigorous.  Be prepared for some mountain sickness folks!

Day 1:
I left with only a small backpack for 4 days journey.  A van drove myself and a group, who signed up for the same trek, to Ollantaytambo, over 4,200 meters above sea level .  Amazed, we took in the beauty terrain while standing on the highest peak of the whole trip.  Then we strapped on some gear and bike down the Andes.  The rush of the winding road and the wind whipping our faces kicks in high gear as we ride past waterfalls, school kids, and villages.  A couple hours and 2,000-meter descend in, we got to a small town in Santa Maria.  The adventure did not stop there.  For ~$30, I signed up for a level 3 rapid rafting.  My god, if that did not blow my hair our of the water.  (Side note, I don't know how to swim very well - take precautions).  Needless to say, I slept very well that night.
You know, just biking in the Andes





Day 2:

Waking up fresh and eager, we set out on the Inka Trail.  As we trekked, we stopped by huts and small houses of local Peruvians for quick rest.  What I loved most about this trek was the kindness of the Peruvian people.  Everyone was amazing and compassionate - I've been to places where I would be looked at as walking wallets.  Onward to the trek, our trail continues into Quellomayo where the group stopped for food and quick hammock nap.  We then picked up our trek on the side of Urubamba river, and then crossing it at one point in a cart and pulley.  Our day ended soaking in the Santa Theresa hot springs. Which was much needed to soothe my soul after a day extraneous hiking.  Food and salsa dancing in the town Santa Theresa was followed. 
The Group!

The Inka trail ( for trail - see to left of picture)

Crossing Ururamba river in style

Santa Theresa hot spring - doing a little jig!

Day 3:
While some of the group continued to hike, I chose to pay a little extra ($35 - I believe) to zipline in the most extensive 5 lines zip in South America.  Needless to say, free style zip line was encouraged, meaning we can go upside down, side ways, flip, etc.  The adrenaline for starting the day like that gave me a surge of energy for the rest of the hike that followed.  On today's hike I cried (yes, cried) in awe of my surrounding, it was incredibly beautiful landscape I have the pleasure of immersing.  Our hike ended in the tourist town, Aguas Calientes.  Again, here we had the option of hot spring pool siding.  I chose to skip out on hot bathing and again go dancing.  But only to dance just enough to come back for a night rest for the 4AM ascend to Machu Picchu.





Day 4:
The climb to Machu Picchu began at 4 o'clock, before the sun is up .  We ascended through a zig-zag staircase that lasted 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  Pushing time to get to Machu Picchu before the sunrise.  The funny and humbling experience was that the ascend was so tiring for me that when I finally reached Machu Picchu, I was so relieved and happy that I finally see buses and people.  That meant the my rigorous climb was over.  Just a funny situation, where my expectation of my behavior, 'enlightenment', failed to meet the actuality of the moment, 'relieved'.  Personal thoughts aside, our tour guide have us a quick guide through Machu Picchu.  It was quite impressive to see how Incas lived and they were able to build such an amazing structure, WITH NO CEMENT!  After the tours, I made friends with a couple other trekkers and we explored the rest of Machu Picchu.  Once it rained a bit, we made our way down and decompressed until it was time to board our train back to Ollantaytambo.  And from there back home to Cusco.

It's night time Trekkin'





This trek was amazing, and seriously if any of my friends or anybody would want to go with me.  I am 100% ready and readily volunteer my service as your companion and your guide! :)


Booyah, more power to ya!




No comments:

Post a Comment