Wednesday, April 3, 2013

About the People We Meet

I am one of those. You know the ones that everyone sees as being crazy or risky for solo traveling. Yes indeed, I enjoy traveling by myself and yes I'm a bit crazy.  But while traveling alone entails a whole lot of solitary times, it is actually the social aspect that makes the experience all so rewarding for me.

Last year, when I went to Peru, I remember being so altitude sick and bed-ridden in Cusco.   While laying in a common area,  I heard someone said, "I'm going to the [some temple]." Not knowing who it was, or who he was talking to, I raised my hand and asked if I can join him.   Every trip since have continued as such, I just chime in and ask if I can tag along or if anyone would like to go with me.  And as always people are so graceful and welcoming, I never feel alone.

Left to Right: Myself, Teagen, Eddy and Kiah on Kilimanjaro

Myself and Teagen
In my most recent trip to Tanzania, I did the hike on Kilimanjaro originally by myself.  But luckily while hiking I met 3 people, an amazing couple, Eddy and Teagen, and another soul sister, Kiah, who was also traveling by herself.  Through the laughter and sometime tears (mostly me), we bonded.  We bonded over dinner and card games, but most importantly we bonded over summiting the peak; although, I would imagine if one of us didn't make it, it would have been an awkward conversation descending.  Climbing experience elevated by meeting these kindred spirits!  Due to Eddy and Teagen's awesomeness, I  tagged along once more on a Safari with them.  Alone on my trip, I was no more *in Yoda voice*

Thomas and I playing chess in Hookah lounge
Unfortunately, I have no picture playing backgammon
It was just that intense. :/
Over the course of my travel, I also learned how to play backgammon in Istanbul, Turkey.  It was freaking cool because what better place to learn a classic game than in one of its originating region.  The moment definitely enhanced by meeting a new traveling friend, Thomas who was kindly enough to teach me how to play backgammon in a local cafe/tea/hookah shop.  We had so much fun goofing around, especially over my inability to grasp the game.  Sipping tea while the local (waiters) helped me move my game pieces was just stupendous.  Moment enhanced by connecting with another human being.  Without meeting Thomas, I would have just summarized my Istanbul trip by describing the architecture of the Blue Mosque or the intricacy of Hagia Sophia.

Best of all, was my meeting in Morocco with a couchsurfer (www.couchsurfing.org), Bapt.  Bapt and I met when he couchsurfed at my place in Austin in 2011.  We since have kept in touch and because of his residential country, France, being so close to Morocco, he flew in to travel with me.  We bonded over our time here in Austin and moreover we bonded over the 'new' Morocco.  As he put it, "we should take in this moment, because the next time, it won't be the same."   It's true, the present will never feel the same the next time around - one can only recount.  I recount drinking cold beer on a roof top bar of a souk in Marrakech, Morocco.  The wind was breezy, cascading over Marrakech's red folding blinds.  All in good company.

From Tanzania to Morocco.  From my journey at home to my journey abroad.  All my best moments have been shared with the people I met and the connections I maintained.  Experiences are all about the people you get to share it with, so share your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment